A Dreamy Pop Camera Odyssey Along Route 66
- Aliens on the cover.
- In black and white, so you know it's art.
- Serious camera artifacts on every page.
- At least, roll down the window.
- If it's crappy enough, maybe it's art.
- There is an astounding lack of subject.
- The poor artisanal skill is about all I see.
- It's just not good.
- A bullseye lens does not an interesting photo necessarily make.
- To my eye.
- Almost no eye.
- May others have more mercy on my own work.
The Art Of Being Bill
The Many Faces of Awesome
Ezra Croft & Jennifer Raiser
- I have low expectations.
- I was not aware of that movie.
- And ironically, I just paused in the viewing of it (right now) to edit this page.
- I lie not.
- Total coincidence.
- Though, this book is the reason for viewing the movie.
- No, feels.
- More like Nickolas Cage.
- Very quick.
Polaroids Of Women
- And some people buy these books.
- Or perhaps, libraries are the real market.
- Professional subjects.
- Amateur touch.
- See, it doesn't count, because I didn't try.
The Quotable Negan
Creator of the Walking Dead
- I thought it was a light saber.
- Turns out, he does not have a way with words.
- Nor do I particularly care what he has to say.
The Human Swarm
How Our Societies Arise, Thrive, And Fall
Mark D. Moffett
- The title begs the question as to whether Their Societies behave differently.
- 100 Pages of back end filler.
- Yes, I started there.
- The guy's photograph sort of reminds me of myself.
- I should be nice.
- At the end, he's wrong about the upper limit.
- Birds, fish, and herd animals group in the thousands.
- Maybe tens of thousands.
- And I doubt I have the ability to bond with more than a few dozen others.
- Friends of friends had been a common relationship dynamic for me.
- Benefits for all.
- We'll pass from there.
- I'd be interested to know more about flocking behavior.
- In the end, too many words to wade through to get to what may or may not be there.
The SIMS 4
- The system doesn't matter.
- I probably selected this title as I've got the first and second edition of The SIMS for free.
- With a slew of the expansion packs.
- Just a few days ago.
- She's at the center.
- And is the center.
- I've always seen this series as a boyfriend/girlfriend replacement.
- So far (since the top of this page, one sitting), I've had two Imaginary Friends (and a Friend of an Imaginary Friend) visit me.
- So, more of same.
- That's what I want.
- Hey, they come with cupcakes!
- I have Imaginary Friends.
- Many of them.
- But never a Community of Friends.
- Well, never a heterogeneous community.
- So, Hordlings and their ilk, if you want to know.
- In the end, Humans are Hordlings.
- But that's not what I mean.
- Character development.
- Location development.
- In the back of my mind, there are at least two buildings I want to CAD up.
- My childhood home.
- And G'narsh's Apartment Complex.
- Can we have wars?
- Overall, it seems tedious, as the points aren't real.
- So, how to make them real?
Point Of View
Me, New York City, and The Punk Scene
- They don't think.
- So, why should I?
- The book comes with a circulation receipt.
- I just saw that movie.
- That is good.
- Ten pages in.
- The best photo of the day.
- So far.
- In my mind, Blonde (the singer) interacts with the previous SIMS title and the albums (to come) quite easily in the Land of Make Believe.
- Beautiful juxtaposition.
- It's a lot of what I want out of this mass cramming.
- Most of these images are crap.
- But at least, it is clear crap.
- And then, there's that.
- Mostly boring.
- Name dropping.
- I do not care.
- I need (want) more than a name.
- It's not enough to be famous.
- Make them famous, again.
- Ha! He was in the band.
- All access.
- You left so much sitting on the table, dude.
- So much.
Seven Keys To Modern Art
- I like that The Seven Keys are listed on the cover.
- Bravo, to you.
- Experiential and aesthetic should be renamed, so I give you my reworking (and/or butchering) of the list:
- Subjective (viewer's experience).
- Theoretical (The BS Manifesto).
- Skeptical (counter punch to the Theoretical).
- I hope I did them justice.
- Yeah, that's the part of the book I care about.
- And for those who buy books, at $29.95 (American), the price was a bargain.
- Seriously, seven minutes for seven words was time well spent.
- Five Stars!
- Thesis Delivered!
What We Keep
150 People Share The One Object That Brings Them Joy, Magic, And Meaning
Bill Shapiro with Naomi Wax
- Wax On!
- Wax Off!
- Pictures don't count.
- Odd how I can accept the necklace and not the rope...
- In use.
- Oh, OK.
- An eclectic group of people.
- Its captivating.
- And banal.
- And worth the flip through.
- Maybe, I'll read the intro to see how they decided who got in.
- Eh, I still don't know.
- Maybe, once they got the book deal, things changed.
- Back to the book.
- Some bullets are cooler than others.
- That is cool.
- Near the end.
- The teacup.
- One of the first things I can say I've really wanted.
- I carry a coin.
- I used to mix it up a lot more.
- Maybe, I should, once again.
I Wanna Wrock
The World of Harry Potter-Inspired "Wizard Rock" and Its Fandom
Paul A. Thomas
- Lawrence Kansas was the setting for the last musically inclined book that I read.
- Salad Days.
- There are over 500 such Potter LARP Bands.
- So, something for everyone.
- But this is not for me.
- I do not know the difference between a male and a cismale.
- Nor does my phone recognize that as a word.
- This sort of note being transcribed into my phone.
- I will not be listening to any of the selections from the discography.
- And that is a real word: discography.
Fight - Forever Warriors - Raise Your Fist
- Heavy Metal Madness.
- The fantasy is better than the reality.
- "Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah."
- She's got a falcon.
- Leading the Zombie Apocalypse.
- What do I want this to sound like?
- What do I believe this sounds like?
- Rock On!
- Let's Rock!
- If the purpose is reproduction.
- What is the seed?
- With whom does she breed?
- Almost sounds like a lyrical chorus, to me.
- A question in need of an answer.
- Soldier of Darkness.
- It's a real band.
- The crowd is there.
- Nice homage.
- When music is your life.
- For the daydreams, it was a successful outing.
Lost Las Vegas
- I wonder if he lives there?
- An English book.
- It does not appear that Jeff is the primary photographer.
- Perhaps, not even a photographer.
- It's a concept book.
- As in, we think it will sell.
- As apposed to a labor of love.
- Nice street corner.
- Too much history.
- Devoid of life.
- You know, the seedy underbelly type.
- I read the marquee signs.
- I don't care about the architecture.
- Let 'er ride.
- One of the better shots.
- Another publicity shot, oddly.
- Live by the whip.
- Die by the lion.
- A tribute to places that no longer are.
- The 'Lost' part.
- 'Other Titles In The Series.'
- So hard.
The Lasting Impact of the Counterculture
Photographs by Jason Laurie
- I think that's what that is called.
- Of course, you may have a different name for it.
- Woodstock was not about the music.
- It wasn't.
- Chubby cheeks.
- These groups lasted for decades.
- Well, their music did.
- If this book were people's only exposure to the event, Woodstock would not be a thing.
- And, no.
- I read almost no words.
- Having paged quickly through a moment ago (as I made my selections from the shelves), I expect little.
- I don't think Black & White is the right medium.
- A touch of red or blue goes a long way.
- It's hard to see these clouds.
- Much less read them.
- Oh, I also want the wind in my hair.
- It's the empty expanse that is eerie.
- There is nowhere to hide.
- With flash.
- I see the street reflectors.
- Like a deer in the headlights.
- That's an anvil.
- The different angles are instructive.
- And this is The Maw of the Beast.
- If you see this...
- It's much more benign from the side.
- If repetitive.
35 Years Of Fashion
- A non-event.
- The fashion does little for the form.
- The girl is wearing the fashion.
- But the fashion does not highlight the girl.
- The half page in-leafs are a nice touch.
- Perhaps the best part.
- I am not inspired.
- That was very quick.
- As a bit of an Apologia, I believe I have shopped in a similarly named store.
- I was impressed by the suits...
- The quality of workmanship...
- Or womanship.
- The quality of workmanship...
How To American
An Immigrant's Guide To Disappointing Your Parents
Jimmy O. Yang
- He's an actor.
- Go figure.
- Not funny.
- Not helpful.
- I get the feeling I'm going to pan this.
- Still, I liked his story about the first day of school.
- Maybe, I should have mentioned that at the time.
- Eh, at least it's honest.
- And the dialogue pulls me in.
- Yep, I'm not giving it a chance.
- Too bad.
- How to.
- Just do it.
- Then, like, whatever it is, regardless of what you wanted to do, that's how you do that.
- You know, like, there is no try, there's just doing that which you did not intend.
- Oh, yeah, and not doing what you did intend.
- And these sentences are why I do this project, skim these books, and write it down.
- For me, it's golden.
- Who cares what I intended?
- Certainly, not I.
- The Audition Log.
- Let us admit, it is the most informative and original part of this book.
- And I'm back to not caring.
- Audition Log.
World's Turned Upside Down
The Official Behind-The-Scenes Companion
- 'Official' does not add authority.
- And I was unimpressed with the two or three episodes of the series that I watched.
- So, there's that.
- Is that fake dirt?
- So it is.
- The map insert has a fake coffee stain, as well.
- But not as nice as the dirt.
- The map quality does not meet the standards of the USGS.
- I like the idea of coloring in a D&D Monster Manual.
- So, like, using the Monster Manual as a colouring book.
- Also, perhaps, tracking kills.
- I do continue to want to work on some RPG Character Project.
- I've felt that way for years.
- It hasn't taken off.
- He does not have STR 16.
- This book has already far exceeded my expectations.
- Metal miniatures are objects of desire, for me.
- Bring on the stupidity.
- The second string characters don't get Character Sheets.
- True throwaway NPCs.
- I like the Monster Morphology.
- Also, how I had to flip the book over to read that part.
- But to be honest, innovation has been running a bit light, as of late.
- Video game graphics.
- I like.
- Ghost Busters.
- Not so much.
- Back to that?
- Yeah, I missed nothing by not watching this series.
- I'm nostalgic for D&D.
- But so much else is a miss.
- It's a corporate affair.
- This book, it is.
- Still, the highest quality this day.