Eighty Two, Eighty Three Years, it was a good run.
My father died recently. I won't bother to look up the date (or even how old he was). Strange what's important... how we commemorate things... or at least, how I commemorate things. My father dies. No point in remembering the date or even computing his final age. But rather, and quite obviously, it's time to write up a special web page (maybe a bunch of them) in his honour. Oh, I know, I'll take a picture of the candles in the church... couldn't actually get one to light on his behalf due to the cross currents (breeze, actually, or more like a strong wind flowing through the open windows of the chapel), but I got the picture and that's what's important... as is being sarcastic (common sign of grief) and making lists with nifty cross-like symbols in lieu of the standard bullet points (see, deeply religious, I be).
- ♰ My actions are my grief, by definition.
- ♰ I am a dangerous griever.
- ♰ Lord knows what I'd do to bring my father back if I thought it would work... if my mind twisted in just the wrong way.
- ♰ Crying is like puking.
- ♰ I never thought I would cry.
- ♰ Is it wrong to be glad you cried?
- ♰ Hey, look at me! I cried!
- ♰ Sorry, I can't make it to work today. I'm taking a grief day.
- ♰ Just by-the-by, this silly page isn't the real memorial.
- ♰ The real memorial is thinking of my father whenever I eat pizza for the rest of my life.
- ♰ I will miss eating pizza with my father.
- ♰ And I will miss talking to him.
- ♰ And I am practical enough to link that grief with pizza, so should I ever wish to commemorate my father, like for real, you know, in a way that really counts, well, that will mean that it's time to go eat some pizza.
- ♰ Don't judge me.
- ♰ My father liked pizza.
- ♰ And my actions are my grief, by definition.
- ♰ Still, I wonder if weight gain is a common symptom of grief?
What would papa order?
© copyright 2016 Brett Paufler